Serving Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota and Wisconsin (952) 541-1090 WE SPEAK SPANISH
Minnesota Visa Attorney

Minnesota Visa Attorney

To be a good immigration attorney, you must dedicate your practice to immigration law. There are constant updates and trends that can affect a case. If your attorney is not aware of all facts, laws and trends that can affect your case, it can have a negative effect on your case's outcome. At Steven C. Thal, P.A., we are extremely proactive on all issues that affect our clients.

25+ Years Experience

Minnesota Visa Attorney

The firm of Steven C. Thal, P.A. has been helping clients achieve their immigration and visa goals since 1982.

The firm offers a complete range of immigration law services. It helps corporations obtain the talent they need to compete and prosper by obtaining visas for executives, professionals, and technical workers. It helps reunite families by obtaining visas for parents, children, spouses, and fiancés of U.S. citizens.

Steven C. Thal, P.A. is a full service immigration law firm. It provides customized advice and representation to meet the individual needs of each client. In every immigration matter, the firm will work to:

  • Thoroughly understand the client's needs, concern's and goals.
  • Apply its experience and expertise to determine the fastest and most cost-effective solution
  • Prepare all petitions, applications, and supporting documentation correctly and completely
  • Follow up with all parties involved, to keep the process moving forward to a successful conclusion
  • Respond promptly to client questions and concerns, and keep you informed at all stages of the process

The U.S. immigration system is complex and confusing. Steven C. Thal, P.A. can successfully navigate through the system and help you achieve your immigration goals.

About the Attorney

Since graduating cum laude from University of Minnesota Law School in 1982, Steven C. Thal has practiced immigration law exclusively.

He has taken leadership positions in several immigration law associations, serving as past Chair of the Minnesota/Dakota chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA). For the national AILA, he served on the AILA Essential Workers Committee, the AILA Immigration Works Committee, and the AILA InfoNet Committee, and chaired the Technology Seminar Committee and the Legislative Ways and Means Committee. Mr. Thal edits articles for AILA’s publication, Immigration Law Today as part of the editorial advisory board.

Steven C. Thal has received the AILA National Presidential Commendation for "creative and tireless advocacy" on behalf of immigrants.

He is AV-rated* under Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review rating system, and has been named a SuperLawyer in immigration law by Minnesota Law and Politics magazine.

The practice of Steven C. Thal, P.A. encompasses all aspects of immigration law, including:

Green Cards and Permanent Residence — obtaining permanent residence status for family members, executives and employees, professionals and skilled workers, and through the Green Card Lottery.

Employment-Based Immigration — temporary and permanent visas for executives, managers, professionals, and technical workers.

Family-Based Immigration — obtaining visas for family members and fiancés.

Naturalization — helping clients become U.S. citizens.

Non-Immigrant Visas — temporary visas for the purposes of employment, study, travel, or other purposes.

Deportation and Removal — defense of removal actions in all venues of the administrative and judicial systems.

Asylum and Temporary Protected Status — helping victims of persecution, violence, and natural disasters obtain temporary and permanent residence in the U.S.

Steven C. Thal, P.A. serves clients in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, and other states, as well as assisting clients abroad in consular and port-of-entry processing matters.

Minnesota Immigration Legal Information

Family lawyers deal with variety of different issues within the law. Despite dealing with bankruptcy law, family lawyers practice the part of the law including adoptions, name changes, marriage, prenuptial agreements, immigration, and green cards. Because a family lawyer can be involved in so many different areas of the law, it is important to employ a family lawyer who has background experience related to your law issues.


A person who is granted a green card is a permanent resident of the United States. They have the right to enter and leave, work, and live in the United States for their entire lives.


  1. Immediate relatives of United States citizens qualify to get green cards. These relatives include spouses, parents, stepparents, children, stepchildren, and siblings. There are certain restrictions associated with each of the preceding relatives and a lawyer should be consulted if you have a relative who is considering trying to obtain a green card.
  2. Preferred employees and workers may qualify for green cards. There are a certain number of green cards given each year to people who have job skills that are needed in the United States. Often, a job offer is required and the employer must show that they have tried to hire a U.S. citizen for the job and have been unsuccessful.
  3. Green card lotteries for ethnic diversity. A certain number of green cards are reserved each year for citizens of countries who send the fewest immigrants to the U.S.
  4. Special immigrants are given green cards based on laws that have been passed. These immigrants include clergy people, foreign medical graduates who have been in the U.S. since 1978, former employees of the Panama Canal Zone, retired officers or employees from certain international organizations, foreign employees of the U.S. consulate in Hong Kong, international broadcasting employees, certain members of the U.S. armed forces, and foreign children declared dependent by juvenile courts. If you fall under one of the "special immigrant" categories and want to obtain a green card you should consult an experienced lawyer.
  5. People seeking refuge and political asylum. The U.S. will grant green cards to foreign individuals who are persecuted in their home country. Persecution must be a result of a person’s race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or member ship in a social group. Random violence or poverty does not qualify as persecution.
  6. Long-term illegal residents may qualify for a green card. Certain people may be allowed to apply for a green card after they have lived illegally in the U.S. for ten years. In order to apply for a green card the spouse and children of the illegal immigrant must be U.S. citizens and face an unusual hardship if that person was deported to their home country. In this case a lawyer should be consulted right away.


  1. In order to obtain a green card you must have a "petitioner" begin the process for you. This person can be your spouse or fiance, a family member, or employer. The first step they must take is to file a form called a "visa petition." By using this form the petitioner can describe your relationship with them and your desire to obtain a green card. This process should be completed before you enter the United States. The green card process can then continue through the U.S. consulate in your home country or through a U.S. based office.
  2. Once approved, your visa petition now serves as your "place in line" or "priority date" for obtaining your green card.
  3. This step in the process will depend upon several factors. These include current living situation, who your "petitioner" is, whether you are married or unmarried, etc. The help of an experienced lawyer will make this process as simple and as quick as possible.
We have proudly served clients in Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota and Wisconsin.